Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Being Honest

I'm a 19 year old female, and I was referred to a psychiatrist for management of my ADD medication. I also mentioned some other symptoms I've been having, which he said were anxiety attacks. He asked that I monitor them for a month and follow up. I saw him for the first time almost a month ago, and will see him for the second time this week.
In my first appointment, he asked me if I was abused, and I lied. It was as though I didn't have a choice- "No" was coming out of my mouth regardless of what I thought. I was abused, mostly emotionally, though some physical abuse, by my older brother growing up. I was bullied a lot in school, as well. This went on for years. I became very overweight, and eventually lost 100 pounds. My eating throughout that time was disordered. It started by only eating 500 calories a day, and ended with bulimia and laxative abuse. I've since regained normal eating habits.
Do I tell the psychiatrist these things? Is this something that I should wait to bring up if he refers me to therapy? I don't want to make an idiot of myself and burden someone else with unnecessary information. I've never seen a mental health professional before, and it's a little nerve-wracking. I don't know how to handle this.

Dear Cassara
Being honest in a therapeutic relationship is important for both the therapist & the client. You cannot hide away such an important piece of information. Whether to bring it up on your own or respond only if the psychiatrist asks again is totally your take. But my suggestion would honest & open.....but only if you're comfortable in the relationship......I mean therapeutic relationship.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Dr. Gurvinder Kalra, MD

I can answer questions related to Psychiatric illnesses, their management, relationship issues etc.

I have completed my Masters in Psychiatry. Currently I am working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at L.T.M.Medical College & L.T.M.General Hospital, Mumbai, India.

1. Kalra G, Bhugra D. Mutual learning and research messages: India, UK and Europe. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S56-63. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69211] 2. Kalra G, Gupta S, Bhugra D. Sexual Variations in India: A view from the west. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S264-8. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69244]

MD Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychiatry, M.B.B.S

1. A.V. SHAH BEST RESEARCH PAPER AWARD, at the 38th Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatry Society- West Zone Branch, Nagpur, India, 13th Oct 2007. 2. BOMBAY PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY SILVER JUBILEE NATIONAL AWARD, at the 60th Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Kolkata on 4th January, 2008. 3. 2nd prize in the free paper session for presenting the paper “Sexual Attitudes & Behaviours in Individuals above 50” at the 24th National Conference of Sexology held in Jaipur in September, 2008. 4. BHAGWAT NATIONAL AWARD, for Co author of “Study of Emotional Intelligence in Medical Postgraduates”. The Study was presented in the 61st Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Agra on 6th January, 2009. 5. 1st prize in the Dr.S.M.Lulla Post Graduate Quiz held in July 2006 at Department of Psychiatry, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India. 6. Won the Post Graduate Debate on “Involuntary Treatment in Psychiatric Patients is Unjust”, 2nd March 2008, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India.