Psychiatry & Psychology--General/zoloft

My 8 year old daughter has been on Zoloft for 2 years for extreme anxiety (also OCD type symptoms, mainly emetophobia.) She did great last year but a child getting sick at school triggered it badly and she can't seem to get it under control.  We are seeing a new therapist this week.  Her psychiatrist increast the Zoloft from 40mg to 60mg.  After a few weeks, she still seems to be very anxious.  The doc mentioned increasing again, but I am worried she is already at a very high dose for her age. Do you think this is a high dose?  Also, any ideas on how children like mine can be helped would be appreciated. Hoping this new therapist has more ideas than the last one.  Thanks.

This is not a high dose.  If tolerated (it can cause easily reversible side effects like nausea), it can be more than double to 150mg.  Medication and psychotherapy is the correct course of treatment. As your child grows, she may need steadily increasing dosages of medications until she get the illness under control through psychotherapy and behavioral interventions.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.