Psychiatry & Psychology--General/getting over a certain type of OCD predicament

Dear Jessica,

For the past 3.5 years, I have had a type of obsessive compulsive disorder situation with time and wristwatches. To me, ever since 2009, it seems that time is accelerating. A day no longer seems like a "day". Now, a day seems like only a few hours, and a year seems like a couple of months. It can be quite an uncomfortable feeling.  It sometimes seems like I'm just floating in this high-speed timeline - like an asteroid floating around in outer space. I even sometimes forget what I did just an hour ago. Sometimes I have to think about whether an event happened today, yesterday, or even a few days ago. Is this normal? If not, how can I combat this, and make time pass sufficiently, like it used to?

Also, for the past 2 years, I have had an OCD situation where I purchase a wristwatch then throw it away after just a few days of wear. I have probably purchased 20 watches in the past two years. All of them have been thrown away. I noticed I have a hard time choosing a certain watch, like 'I need to purchase the perfect one'. I would also like to get past this, and purchase a watch, wear it and not throw it away.
How can I get past both having a hard time choosing a watch and throwing it away just a few days later? I do need to wear a wristwatch because it's more convenient then pulling out my cell phone several times a day and wearing down its battery. I'm not sure why I am behaving that way, and I know it's unnecessary.

thanks for your advice,
age 25

Thank you for taking the time and trust in your question.

Have you been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or is that what you are comparing your situation to?

Your question regarding time seeming to pass by more and more quickly. I will say that as individuals age, it does seem like time passes by more quickly than previous years. Your having to think about what day things happened on isn't unusual especially with as rapid as society moves today.

Your description of watch selection and then throwing away does sound likely to be an obsessive compulsive disorder situation. I want to let you know I am NOT a physician and cannot make diagnoses.

Given the two situations of concern that you are currently experiencing, I would recommend talking to a professional - a counselor, psychiatrist, therapist, psychologist, etc. It may be a biochemical imbalance that is altering these two situations in your life. There are ways both medicinally or behavioral techniques that can help you work through these issues.

Does this help?
I'm not sure where you're living but there should be mental health facilities that may be of use nearby. There is also an anonymous website I like that is full of support groups for most things you can think of. You may find it helpful to ask questions or ask a question and see what has helped others with similar situations.

If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer any additional questions.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jessica Chew

I can answer questions related to bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, post traumatic disorder, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder and borderline personality disorder. I am not a doctor so I cannot prescribe drugs but I am familiar with drugs treating all of these conditions.

I have family members with these illnesses, have attended numerous support groups and talked intensively with therapists about these illnesses. I know first hand how they affect the person and family and work situations. & listening to clients and their experiences.

BA in molecular biology, with concentration in Neuroscience. Massage Therapy certification.