Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Post marijuana effects?

Hi, I'm 25 years old and I used to smoke weed a lot when I was in my 20's but I had to stop smoking about 2-3 years ago 'cause I started having panic attacks, anxiety, ocd, fear of going insane etc.
 Nowadays I have smoked a couple of times this year and the last time was last weekend when I drinked and smoked three days straight. The last day I got a really bad panic attack when I was high and it scared the shit out of me.
 After that I have had this fear that I'm going to go insane and develop schizophrenia etc. and I'm afraid that I start to hallucinate and lose the touch to reality. I have been also feeling kinda weird after this weekend, it's like I'm experiencing some kind of derealization or maybe I'm just constantly panicking or something.
 So does it sound like I'm going insane or developing a psychosis or schizophrenia? Or is this just me obsessing? Does this odd feeling (derealization?) go away?

PS. About a week ago I started to eat saffron-extract capsules  'cause I saw that they might help for post-ssri sexual dysfunction. I found out that these also raise serotonin and dopamine levels and I think there's been some research for using these as antidepressants. But I read on the internet that schizophrenia is associated with raised dopamine levels, so can using this capsules raise my dopamine levels so much that I develop schizophrenia or psychosis? Is this possible?? Could using these have something to do with my mood now?? Should I stop using these?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Dear Jack
Marijuana or cannabis is known to precipitate psychosis in prone individuals. I suggest you stop it completely (there are many more better things you can think of doing for recreation!!) & also stop the saffron thing. It is not advisable to take any medication without your doctor's suggestion.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Dr. Gurvinder Kalra, MD

I can answer questions related to Psychiatric illnesses, their management, relationship issues etc.

I have completed my Masters in Psychiatry. Currently I am working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at L.T.M.Medical College & L.T.M.General Hospital, Mumbai, India.

1. Kalra G, Bhugra D. Mutual learning and research messages: India, UK and Europe. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S56-63. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69211] 2. Kalra G, Gupta S, Bhugra D. Sexual Variations in India: A view from the west. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S264-8. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69244]

MD Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychiatry, M.B.B.S

1. A.V. SHAH BEST RESEARCH PAPER AWARD, at the 38th Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatry Society- West Zone Branch, Nagpur, India, 13th Oct 2007. 2. BOMBAY PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY SILVER JUBILEE NATIONAL AWARD, at the 60th Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Kolkata on 4th January, 2008. 3. 2nd prize in the free paper session for presenting the paper “Sexual Attitudes & Behaviours in Individuals above 50” at the 24th National Conference of Sexology held in Jaipur in September, 2008. 4. BHAGWAT NATIONAL AWARD, for Co author of “Study of Emotional Intelligence in Medical Postgraduates”. The Study was presented in the 61st Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Agra on 6th January, 2009. 5. 1st prize in the Dr.S.M.Lulla Post Graduate Quiz held in July 2006 at Department of Psychiatry, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India. 6. Won the Post Graduate Debate on “Involuntary Treatment in Psychiatric Patients is Unjust”, 2nd March 2008, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India.