Psychiatry & Psychology--General/unhappiness/depression

Question
Hello! What is the difference between being extremly unhappy and being extremly depressed? All I know is that you can be diagnosed with depression but not with unhappiness. To me it seems that both of these problems are equaly painful. I am confused.

Answer
Dear Jan
There is a thin line between the two. What you need to understand though is that Depression is more gloomy & doesn't resolve on itself.....while unhappiness may be more limited & you may still be reactive to the surrounding situations & changes in them. Depression is more of a syndromalthing. So if you're depressed you may not justsnap outta it while with unhappiness you may!
Dr. Kalra

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Dr. Gurvinder Kalra, MD