Psychiatry & Psychology--General/pressuring someone with anxiety

jon wrote at 2013-12-05 08:15:47
ask another expert, but check the 'keep the question private' box and give more detail. that way people won't see your personal information.--  i'm not the expert,OK? but i went through something like this. i think you are wondering if the way the person is being treated,and the financial problems, will cause the PTSD and anxiety to become very bad and overwhelm the person. describe to the expert how this person copes with life on a daily basis. that might make a difference in the answer. having family use guilt/pressure on the person is a very unkind thing but i think that only the people who can observe the person everyday will know how he/she is reacting to the pressure of the situation. i might suggest that you go to one therapy session with a psychologist or counselor if will help you to get input on how to give support/help without getting caught in the middle and causing drama with the family members who are causing the problem. you can be a very helpful resource by keeping in contact by phone. really listening to a person talk (just listen without giving any suggestions)can help them get things off their chest and it will help to relieve that 'pressure' and bring you closer together as friends.if the person feels like they are really being heard they might do much better during this situation.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.