Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Please help


Hi I m sixteen and a girl. Here is details about my past: I have suffered bullying, both physical and emotional child abuse. I have committed suicide a lot of times and self harmed by breaking bones. I have battles with depression, anxiety and PSTD. Now I really want to ask a question of what I should do. There is this guy in my school that touched me in inappropriate places like my  thighs and he sometimes  go under my skirt and touch me where my underwear is. I m so afraid I never know how he came to know me. I m so shy I have dysthymia and anxiety so I can't tell him of. I m scared to tell a teacher as they might not understand or if there is no evidence as this guy is so sneaky. Is this sexual harassment, do I need prove and especially would my teacher understand me?

Hi, Jenny, thanks for your question. Well, I'm awfully sorry that those things have happened to you. I want you to know that things will get better for you, and you can recover.

In terms of what to do about the current situation - the police need to be involved. Whether you go to them by yourself, or you find an adult or friend that you trust to give you support, you need to tell the police the details about what has happened.

If on the off chance that the officer does not take this seriously (and I know this kind of thing happens sometimes), you need to speak to his supervisor. Keep escalating until someone listens and takes action.

As a last resort, if you somehow get nowhere, then report this inaction to the newspaper, because that is wrong too.

You know, one of the problems we have, once we've been abused, is that we have a hard time standing up for ourselves. It almost seems normal to us when other people take advantage of us, or don't listen, or we don't get what we deserve. It becomes hard to figure out what is right, and asking for that seems like we are being selfish. It's something you need to learn, and perhaps you can figure out what is 'normal' but thinking about what if it happened to someone else.

At the very least, the school should prevent him from having access to girls, either by removing him from the school altogether or by placing him in a room by himself or with only boys.

Courage, Jenny, Courage

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.


any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology


15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997

©2017 All rights reserved.