Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Want to know what drugs can help violent mood

Question
Hello. I'm seeing a psychiatrist doctor and my diagnosis is dysthymia since childhood and MDD major depression since five years, currently I'm 22. My symptoms manifested as violent behaviour as a child - temper tantrums over things I wanted and hitting and kicking mother violently. I had a normal birth and no other abnormality except slightly delayed speech, I spoke well by two years old. Even at two years old, I scratched my mother's neck with my nails when I was angry. (I was told this by my parents). And I had somewhat aggressive behaviour and flashes of anger towards others, as I kicked a friend of my parent's once because I did not like her touching me. By age 12, I had symptoms of depression with feelings of extreme hurt and sadness at criticisms or fights and I would lock myself in my room and would be sometimes so sad and angry that I would not eat for days until hunger got the best of me. By 16, I manifested full blown major depression with severe episodes of weeping all the time, feelings of loneliness, and feelings like no one loved me and being in my room by myself, withdrawing from the world. And I developed full blown violent episodes of severe irritability and severe rage attacks where I would feel so agitated, angry, and violent that I smashed and broke things. Being bullied at school was one stressor that made things worse. And once I even violently hit my mother many times on her arm, when I did not get my way, but that was only once. Usually in these rage attacks I smash glass objects and break furniture. CAT scan shows no significant brain abnormality and EEG is normal. The symptoms are mainly severe depression and severe irritability plus rage/violent mood. My rage is not of the type associated with paranoia, hallucinations, or delusions as I have no symptoms like those. I wrote this for background info. I'm seeing doctors for treatments and taking 3 milligrams of risperidone. But because of side effects with Atypical Antipsychotics, I'm searching for other types of drugs that can help violent mood in this diagnosis of lifelong dysthymia and MDD. I hope you can give me some advice. Thank you.

Answer
If you are looking outside the area of atypical antipsychotics, Depakote and Lithium often help in these circumstances.  However, the atypical antipsychotics are really the first line of treatment for this, together with psychotherapy (Cognitive, Dialectical).

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.