Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Can I get any better?

Question
I am disturbed. When I am hurt I keep it to myself and as it accumulates it starts to lower my confidence and self esteem. When I am speaking to people, I often loose words to say and say something that sounds weird (for e.g. instead of saying 'close the lid' I say 'turn off the lid'). I have trouble trusting myself as I keep asking other people if I am correct and also I get very anxious while in even the most normal situations. I am frustrated with life and disturbed and have contemplated suicide. I care and worry about everything so much that it affects me physically and makes me mentally ill. Sometimes I just panic. Everyone suggests that I should bring up the non caring attitude towards things that I don't like, but I don't seem to be able to do that. Sometimes my mums criticism of me goes to far and it hurts me.

Answer
Rajdeep

You are not too disturbed, and of course you can get better.  You can get help, learning social skills, from a good psychologist and also if you just experiment by encouraging yourself to socialize a little bit more, one step at a time, you will acquire more confidence and skill in social situations on your own.

No one knows exactly how to speak or act in social situations and everyone does it all a bit differently according to their needs and personality.  Observe how other people do these things that you want to learn and learn from them.  Human beings are social animals and this is how we are supposed to learn, from observing how those people around us act and emulating the ones that we most identify with.

Best,

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.