Psychiatry & Psychology--General/How to have fun with Strangers

Question

I am a 22 year old male, living in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I have been dealing with depression, OCD and Social Anxiety for the past 5 years.

I am in the last semesters in my college, and have no friends. I lack in social skills and cannot communicate well. People in my batch avoid me and even pick on me.

Currently, the problem is that, our batch is going to a picnic. There will be a few strangers and mostly known people too who pick on me.

So my Question is-- in this scenario, How do I have fun at a picnic with strangers? Any pointers would be really helpful, on how to have fun among strangers and people you dont like.

Thank You

Answer
Hello Rim,

I am sorry for my late answer.
My first recommendation is to work with a psychotherapist in order to deal with your difficulties (anxiety, OCD and depression) if you didn't until now.
Regarding the picnic or other social activities there are 2 aspects:
- is very hard to have fun with people that you don't like. I cannot do that and I don't know any pointers in order to guide you but I think is natural to not feel comfortable among people that you don't like;
- on the other hand, if the issue is not having fun among strangers I also think is a commune problem. Maybe you should consider first feeling just comfortable and the part with having fun could come after you know people better.
When you establish your social goals my recommendation is to work step by step. First feel just comfortable and after that having fun. The observer position could be a good one for the beginning. Just observe what others do and how they socialize in a positive way.

I wish you all the best,
Ileana Truica

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Ileana Truica