Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Introversion

Hi Daniel.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm a full-blooded introvert. I certainly wouldn't call myself antisocial or socially anxious - I have a good circle of friends and I definitely enjoy a party from time to time. However, I exhibit almost all of the traits that I've come to understand are associated with introversion.

Although I'm comfortable being introverted, there are a few issues that are holding me back in life. The biggest issue that I have with my introversion is that it takes a great deal of energy to be around people, especially people I don't know well. In larger social gatherings, I find myself becoming bored, irritable or even outright physically tired.

I know this is a common trait of introverts, but it is a serious issue for me from time to time. Flirting, for instance, saps me of energy like you wouldn't believe. As you can probably understand, it's frustrating to be at a party, getting to know a girl, and suddenly feeling very tired and antisocial and lacking the necessary energy to move forward with her.

Do you have any advice for overcoming an issue like this?

Some therapy, particularly skills training, or group psychotherapy, could be helpful.  Otherwise, you can desensitize yourself by actually increasing your social engagements well beyond what you must do, and then eventually pulling back to only what you must do.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.