Psychiatry & Psychology--General/possibly ethical question

Question
Hello. I'm not sure what to call my question. I am 49 and I applied for disability due to mental health issues. My lawyer gave me the name of a psychologist to give me a full evaluation. I made an appointment for feb 1st. A few days later their office called to say they made a scheduling error because the doctor would be on vacation, or out of town that day. The appointment was rescheduled for feb 15th.

Today was feb 1st, the date of the postponed appointment, and their office called early and left a message to say the doctor could not see me today because he was ill. The message said nothing about rescheduling. I called them back minutes later, got no answer, and left a message that my appointment for today had already been changed to the 15th, and asked them to call me back to confirm that. They never called back, perhaps because the office closed early on friday, I don't know.

Obviously there are communication problems in this office, since the first appt should not have been made, and it had not been noted as postponed. But what bothers me most is that today they said the doctor was ill and could not see me, while I am 99.9% certain they previously postponed my appt because the doctor would be out of town. Somebody lied to me one or both times, and I don't understand why.

I don't know if this was merely a group of errors on the part of the office staff, or if the doctor told them to do any of these things. But it seems to me that this clinic is either incompetent or deceitful, and either way I don't feel comfortable placing my future in their hands.

I suppose my question then is, should I report this to some authority, and if so how would I go about reporting it to whom? I hope I have made the situation clear, and I thank you for your time.

Robert

Answer
Robert

This behavior is inappropriate, unacceptable, and disconcerting.  It does not rise to the level of an ethical violation because you are not currently a patient of this therapist.

What I think would be prudent is for you to report this conduct to the attorney who referred you and request a referral to a different psychologist.

Best,

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.