Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Daughter and change in personalilty

Question
QUESTION: History: my daughter had head injury at school which whilst in itself was minor, immediately resulted in change of speech and mobility.MRI and CAT scan showed no bleeds on brain.
After 4 months in hospital my daughter is now thought to have mental health issues.(She was diagnosed with Aspergers, OCD, anxiety and conversion disorder)
Previous to the accident she showed none of these symptoms.
As we stand now, at times of stress, she reverts to a childlike state with no sense of humour and no inhibitions(she can be quite brutal in her actions). She reverts to about the age of a 4 year old.
In this state she cannot spell and I become mommy rather than mom(she is 14)
She was initially placed on medication but on initial recovery this hindered her thought processes so she was taken off this.
Could you offer advice on what course of action I could take next as I feel that this is not really being addressed to my satisfaction and I'm not sure what she needs?

ANSWER: Samantha

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter, but I also am not sure I understand your situation. This is because  you said your daughter had a minor head injury, but you also said she was in the hospital for four months, which sounds like her injury was quite serious.

Sorting out what is going on with your daughter can only be accomplished with the help of a specialist called a Pediatric Neurologist.  This type of doctor is specially trained to diagnose and treat children with brain and nervous system problems.  This doctor can properly evaluate her and then may recommend other types of medicines or treatments, but she should be thoroughly evaluated first.

Best,

Dr. Elmore

QUESTION: The injury she had was a bang to the cerebelum. She immediately started to speak funny and walked like she was drunk.

Over a week her walking got worse to the point where she was in a wheelchair.

She was transferred to childrens hospital where they could evaluate her further.
After further test they believed that whilst the head injury may have been a trigger, it was not the reason for these symptoms.

I had originally asked for another scan on her brain but this was refused.

I believe that whilst in this hospital she was seen by a neurologist.

I am struggling to see how such an injury could trigger such a change in personality?

Answer
Samantha

This problem has to do with the physical effects of a, head trauma in children, which are highly varied and often,  as in your daughter's case, more severe in their effects, than one would predict given the less severity of the injury itself.

An ordinary neurologist is apt to comment as  you have stated only on the severity of the injury without the extensive follow-up that is apparently needed.  A pediatric neurologist would be the specialist to evaluate no only the injury but the terrible effect that it has produced and may, after evaluating your daughter recommend follow up MRI and psychological testing to get to the bottom and to develop a treatment plan to make her better.

Try to find a hospital that has a unit for the treatment of head injuries in children.  There are more and better ones like this nowadays because of the growing concern for the impact of head injury on children participating in sports.  It does not matter if your daughter's injury did not occur while participating in sports because the team in such hospital units would be expert in the diagnoses and treatments your daughter most likely requires.

Best

Dr. Elmore  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.