Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Dreaming About Death

Question
Hi, over a month and a half ago, my grandma died. Since I was little, I saw her nearly everyday. Two years ago, she moved to another part of the state, and I saw her less than once every three months. She was diagnosed with small-cell lung cancer as soon as she moved. Along with numerous other complications, she was paralyzed from Guillain-Barre Syndrome. When in remission, she began walking again and broke her hip. At the hospital, she found out that the cancer had spread throughout her body. Around two weeks later, I stayed with her. I took care of her (with 5 other family members). I was there for two weeks when she died. I was in the room when she passed. I remember most of the details vividly. I stayed for another week or so after helping plan the funeral and then returned to normal life. For the past few weeks, I've had trouble sleeping. I lie in bed for hours before I can sleep. When I sleep, I have dreams about being at my grandma's deathbed. Sometimes the dreams differ from reality, and sometimes she passes away in a completely different way then she actually did. There are some dreams when she looks as healthy as before the cancer and is walking, but, by the end, she has died. Whatever way, all my dreams involve my grandma and her death. I dream these at least 3 times a week and generally get less than five hours of sleep every night. I am only fourteen. Is this some sort of post-traumatic stress? Why can't I sleep, and why do I have those dreams? Anything will be of help, my deepest thanks, Raymond.

Answer
Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your extremely thoughtful question about, death of a loved one.

The answer is that you are correct, these symptoms are a form of PTSD.  It was wonderful and kind of you to be so devoted to your grandmother and brave to hang in there to be with her when she passed.

But if you have read about PTSD you know that observing the death of a close friend or loved one is most often the trigger.  That fact that it was your sick and elderly grandmother does not matter, the witnessing of her gradual decline and passing was very stressful.

There is nothing wrong with you and nothing to be alarmed about as far as your dreams.  Death is one of the greatest mysteries in life and dreams are a way that our minds have of working out intense and complicated situations and feelings.

I know it is disturbing to you, but it is just a consequence of the your kindness and devotion to your grandmother.  Your symptoms should begin to abate sometime between three and six months after your grandmother's death.  If for any reason the dreams remain as intense and sleep disturbing as you describe them now, you might want to get some cognitive behavioral therapy to help you work through them more actively.  But I would wait a little longer and see what happens before getting alarmed.

Best always,

Dr. Andrew Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.