Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Medicine

Question
Hello Dr. Elmore,

I have had panic attacks since I was 12, for 20 years now. I have also had mild depression on and off, but nothing bad. I am taking xanax .5mg four times a day and paxil 20mg twice a day. This has been my medicine regimen for the past 6 years.

Questions: My depression has gotten worse in the last 8-10 months, the worst its been since I can remember. After all this time, would it be a good idea to ask my Doctor about switching to Zoloft or something else? If I do, will I still have the paxil withdrawls symptoms since they are both ssri's? Also, how long is too long to take xanax, paxil, and zoloft? Some say a year max, some say you can take them all your life if needed.

Thanks so much. James

Answer
James

I am a psychologist and do not prescribe medications for my patients, but I am very familiar with these medicines.

All you need to do when you think the medicines that you are presently taking are not doing the work for which they are intended is make an appointment with the prescribing doctor and ask him or her the questions you have posed here.

When you are taking small doses of these medicines there is no reason to worry that long term use will be harmful, but your doctor may know something about your medical history that needs to be taken into consideration.

Best,

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.