Psychiatry & Psychology--General/PsyD or Nurse Practitioner?

Question
Dear Dr. Borkosky,

I was recently accepted into both a PsyD program and an accelerated Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner program in the US. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about both career paths in order to make the most well-informed decision. I know what the basic differences (nurses can prescribe, PsyDs have more training in psychotherapy) but in terms of the financial and time investments, and the current job market, do you think one path makes more logistical sense than the other?

Thanks,

Erin

Answer
Hi, Erin, I recommend to people, when they ask, to go for the NP license. You can do almost as much as a psychologist can, PLUS work in many more settings and prescribe medication (at least in FL). You just cannot call yourself a psychologist, or do "psychological" evaluations. If you want to, you can always get the PhD later.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.