Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Stress and relationship with mother

Question
I am a 39 yr old woman, married 15 yrs, finally about to have a baby. I suffer from anxiety and have problems dealing with change. I also suffer from several autoimmune diseases and don't work due to my symptoms. I've been in counseling for several yrs, and my relationship problems with my mother is a constant subject. I am considering limiting my contact with her to as infrequently as possible. The problem - my mother has tried to control and manipulate me for as long as i can remember. If something doesn't go her way, she tries to put guilt trips on me, or tells me i'm wrong. My husband and i have decided we do not want anyone at the hospital until at least the day after our baby is born, as we feel this is our bonding time, and also not knowing how i will feel. She said that i am being selfish and ruining my relationship with her, and that she has been waiting a long time for us to have a baby. She brings up the fact that she had cancer and it could recur anytime and I'd feel bad if i made her miss out on precious time with her granddaughter. Other examples of her controlling behavior - when my grandmother was alive, she constantly told me i'd feel bad when she passed away because i didn't spend enough time with her, even though i don't think my time with her was anything but frequent. She also tells me i'm going to hell as i am no longer a practicing catholic. I really consider my relationship with her to be a toxic one, and would seriously consider terminating it all together. My husband, though, thinks our daughter should know her grandmother. I am concerned what she might tell my daughter, especially with regard to religion. How do i tell my mother she has no control over me, and that i find her behavior unacceptable?

Answer
Hanna

I am very sorry to hear about your, selfish domineering mother.

Congratulations to you and your husband on the upcoming birth of your child.  Remember this is your child and no one else's.

If everything you say is true now is the precise time to distance yourself from your mother, before your baby comes into the world and she feels she can dominate your motherhood and she feels entitled to tyrannize your adulthood.

Protecting your child is about to become the most important thing in your life and if you believe your mother is a toxic influence on you, make sure she is kept out of the danger zone as far as your new baby is concerned.

Telling you you will "ruin" a relationship that is already one sided and horrible is a bad joke on you.

Assert yourself now in the name of protecting your precious baby.  And keep away from anyone, blood relative or no who has the temerity to assume they know God's plan so well they can speak for God, especially by telling you you are going to hell.  Please do not wait  until you have to listen to her saying your baby is going to hell.

The way to stop your mother is to stop her and to stop trying to find a way to explain something to her that she does not want to understand.  The way to stop her controlling you is to act like the grownup you are and the mother you are about to become and tell her your child is off limits until she finds a way of behaving herself -- which she will not.

People will take advantage of you if you let them and this person is no different.  You know how she is and how she will act towards your precious child.  Make a pact with your husband that the two of you will stand firm and keep her away until you are ready, which can be as many months or years or forever from now as you decide.

Best always,

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.