Psychiatry & Psychology--General/ambien

Question
lately there is a flood of literatire about ambien causing memory and possibly.dementia.i asked my pharmist,he said there are so much conflicting reports he is confused.there was a study done with 4000 people taking ambien every nite for 2 years with no real bad side effects.he suggestes take ambien for 10 days nitely,then take a break for 10 days then go back takinf it 10 days on and 10 days off.whats your opion.i tried lunesta it would not put a bird to sleep.thanks howard

Answer
There is no "flood of literature" about Ambien causing dementia -- there is no literature on this at all, in fact.  If you know of such from a peer reviewed journal, you should forward it to me.

All the benzodiazepines, and their cousins, have been known for years to cause memory problems, which are reversible once the medication is stopped.

ALL hypnnotics (sleep agents) should be used ONLY as an as needed basis.  There is no good literature to say that using them nightly works after a number of weeks.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.