Psychiatry & Psychology--General/head injury patient

My wife met with an accident. She got head injured. Her memory is intact. But she is too agresssive and talks excessive. She abuses everyone at home with the worst words when she is irritated. She speaks nicely with friends and is normal with them. I consulted a psychiatrist, he prescribed oleanz tablet. But she is not willing to take the medicine. She is taking other medicines given by neurologist which is related to head injury. She is saying that she is normal and says that the oleanz tablet has many side effects like she will become fat, face will become ugly, will have older look etc. We tried to convince her many times, but she is adamant and not willing to take the tablet. She only cooks and maintains everything at home. Hence it is not possible to give the tablet mixed with food without her knowledge. Also there are kids at home. Please advise what to do in this situation. Please note that even before the accident, she was a sensitive woman who gets hurt with small issues. But she was becoming normal easily. But after head injury, she does not become stop her abuses for long time. We are having tough time every day. Please advise whether she will become normal over a period of time without medication related to her psychological problem. How to handle this situation?

The same personality change you have described is often the result of temporary or damage to the part of the brain that controls impulses to anger and frustration.  If you look up, Post Concussion Syndrome, you can learn a lot about it that may be helpful to your understanding.

Whether or not it will go away has in part to do with how long ago was her injury and what type of injury your wife sustained.  It is not possible to diagnose a problem in this limited forum and the diagnosis of head injury begins with the neurologist, not the psychologist.

Try to make sure your wife's neurologist knows about these symptoms you are describing.  The neurologist may be able to refer you and your wife to psychologists who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of post head injury patients, to help pinpoint the type of behaviors most likely to be affected by her specific head injury and to help you and her develop means for dealing with these symptoms at home in a way that can calm rather than excite her and methods for her to understand and get some better control over her emotions.

Medications may very well be helpful, but generally it is better to get a finer grained understanding of the problem before deploying them.

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about: Stress. Headaches. Stress-related Disorders. Anxiety/Panic Disorder. Depression. Psychopathology. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Personal Problem Solving. Life in General. Relationships: Love, Friendship, Business Partner, Coworker, Family,Child/Parent. What makes us tick. The use of psycho-pharmacological agents in combination with psychological treatment. How to deal with evil people in your life. How to improve your outlook under duress. How to control stress. How to control mood. How to control headaches. I cannot answer: Questions about Eating Disorders. Questions about computers.

30 years in private practice as a psychologist in Manhattan. Dealing with people from almost every conceivable ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and as many character types as exist in this country. Dealing with patients from 8 years old to 90 years old. Pioneer in biofeedback and the treatment of stress-related disorders. Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine since 1982. Treatment of stress-related, anxiety and depressive disorders with biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy. Developed personal problem solving, an extremely precise form of psychotherapy. Relationship therapy for couples, families, parent/child issues, business partners, coworkers, employers, and dealing with psychopathic individuals in your life.

American Psychological Association. Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. Biofeedback Certification Institute of America. New York Academy of Sciences.

The journal, Psychophysiology. The book, Expanding Dimensions of Consciousness. The journal, Headache. The journal, Biofeedback and Self-Regulation. The journal Psychiatry Digest. The book, The TMJ Book. The book, Dental Phobia. The network, CNN. Parade Magazine. The newspaper, Newsday. The Manhattan TV station, WCBS. The national news program, The CBS Evening News. The newspaper, The New York Post. The national TV program, The Phil Donohue Show. The magazine, The New Yorker. The magazine, Glamor. The magazine, Redbook. The magazine, Health. The magazine, Bottom Line Personal. Web MD. The website, Healthology. The magazine, Newsweek.

Ph.D. SUNY at Stony Brook, 1979. B.A., magna cum laude with Honors in Psychology, Illinois Wesleyan University, 1974.

Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, First, Second and Third Editions, 1997-2000. Appointed to the Training Faculty of the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America (BCIA), 1993. Senior Fellow BCIA. New York Academy of Sciences, 1987. Who’s Who in the East, 1983-present. Who’s Who in Frontier Science and Technology, First Edition. Citation Paper Author. Eleventh Annual Meeting of the Biofeedback Society of America, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1980. Biofeedback Society of America Scholar, 1979. Co-author, USVA Grant, “Variables Affecting the Experience of Pain in Migraine,” USVA Medical Center, Northport, New York, 1977-1979. Biomedical Research Fellow, Department of Biomedical Engineering, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York, 1978. NIMH Predoctoral Fellowship, 1976. BA, Magna cum laude, with Honors in Psychology, 1974. Danforth Fellowship Nominee, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois, 1973.

Most of my clients are my private patients. However I have provided many seminars, lectures and workshops for: Columbia University. The Mount Sinai School of Medicine. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Museum of Natural History. The UJA Federation. The university, CW Post. The College of New Rochelle. Equinox Fitness. Travelers Insurance. AutoOne Insurance. Chubb Insurance. Metropolitan Life. Allstate Insurance. State Farm Insurance. Encompass Insurance. The public relations firm, Porter Novelli. The investment firm, Capital Re:. The Estee Lauder corporation. The law firm of Irwin Abrams. The National Insurance Crime Bureau. GEICO Insruance. Beth Israel Hospital.