Psychiatry & Psychology--General/pain

dear friend:
I am suffering a fourth episode of depression because I had a girlfriend and then I suspected she was pulling my leg. I quit her and abandon her. I am consulting a psychiatrist and taking 5 different medicines for my depression. I am seriously thinking about call her up and ask to be friend again in order to cure this enormous depression.
What do you think?

Dear Peter,

What you are describing is grief, not clinical depression.  The medications you are taking are to treat the medical condition of your depression, which when you are grieving may be more difficult to treat.

In this case, I recommend that you talk things out with a counselor.  If you do not already have one, there are a variety of ways to go about this.  One way, if you have insurance, is to find out about your coverage for mental health and use your insurance to cover the cost of counseling.  If you do not have insurance, you might consider using a support group.  One such support group is the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, which has groups all around the U.S.

Here are some sites that may be resources for you:

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

Healing after a divorce or breakup

Hang in there!

Kindest Regards,

Monique Thompson LPC

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

I specialize in treatment for survivors of sexual trauma. My clinical work has also included work with sex offenders. This has afforded me with the unique exposure helpful in gaining a better understanding of this particular cycle of abuse. I welcome your questions on this subject matter.

Consultant for Southern Methodist University
Adjunct Faculty Member of Brookhaven Community College