Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Psychological problem after head injury

Question
My wife met with an accident. She got head injured. Her memory is intact. But she is too aggressive. She is easily getting irritated and she abuses everyone at home with the worst words when she is irritated. She speaks nicely with her friends and outside people and is normal with them. I consulted a psychiatrist, he prescribed oleanz tablet. But she is not willing to take the medicine. She is taking other medicines given by neurologist which is related to head injury. She is saying that she is normal mentally and says that the oleanz tablet has many side effects like she will become fat, face will become ugly, will have older look etc. We tried to convince her many times, but she is adamant and not willing to take the tablet. She only cooks and maintains everything at home. Hence it is not possible to give the tablet mixed with food without her knowledge. Also there are kids at home. Please advise what to do in this situation. Please note that even before the accident, she was a sensitive woman who gets hurt with small issues. But she was becoming normal easily after sometime. But after head injury, she does not become stop her abuses for long time. We are having tough time every day. Please advise whether she will become normal over a period of time without medication related to her psychological problem. How to handle this situation?

Answer
Please advise what to do in this situation.

Perhaps her neurologist could convince her to take the medication, or similar, after consulting with the psychiatrist.  Sometimes this goes away after a year or two; the brain corrects itself.  After two years, only medication would be helpful.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.