Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Can sex offenders be cured?

Question
Hi Monique. I am wondering whether in your professional opinion you believe that sex offenders can be cured? Thank you for your time.

Answer
No, there is no cure for sexual deviancy.  

There is treatment available on both the inpatient and outpatient level.  Relapse prevention (recidivism) is the treatment goal.  

Check your state for their registered sex offender treatment provider roster.  There you will find a listing of professionals who have been specially trained to treat sexual deviancy.  This is one area of mental health where I do not recommend a person seek help  without being under the care of a professional specially trained in the treatment of sexual deviancy.

I hope his helps, here are some sites that may be resources for you:

Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers
www.atsa.com

Center for Sex Offender Management
www.csom.org

Kindest Regards,

Monique Thompson LPC
www.northdallascounselor.com

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Monique