Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Sleepless nights

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

I am 30, female, mother of one.

For some days I am not being able to sleep at night. However, if I try, I can sleep in the afternoon. I get a good sleep. Normally in the afternoons I feel sleepy.

I tried avoiding sleeping in the afternoon so that I can save some sleep for the night. But that did not work. I am just not being able to sleep at night till 4 to 5 o'clock in the morning.

I went to the doctor got some tests, everything appears to be in place. They prescribed anti-depressants. I took the medicine at bedtime, it works. But the 10 days course is over now, and I am sleepless again.

Can this problem be psychological? I am looking for a permanent solution to this problem.

Psychological or psychiatric?  I doubt it is psychological since it respond so well to medications.  However, it may have a medical or chemical base, since antidepressants worked so well.  If you are unable to correct the problem with correct sleep hygiene (being in bed ONLY the same eight hours every day, having a mattress less than 10 years old, being in a cool, dark, quiet room without any interference from a partner's sleep, eliminating all caffeine and alcohol, etc), they why not continue the antidepressants, which seem to work so well?

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.