Psychiatry & Psychology--General/paranoid delusions

Question
Dear Dr. Elmore,

I am very concerned about my mother's mental health, and don't know what to do in order to get her to get help from a psychologist or psychiatrist.

My mother has been suffering from paranoid delusions for years, insisting that her neighbors are spying on her, climbing on her roof, breaking into her house when she is not there, and other similar claims. This has happened in at least 10 different apartments, which she kept moving because of repeated [non-violent] confrontations with neighbors. We recently bought her a house, and she is now confronting the neighbors about various implausible claims, and trying to get a restraining order against them.

Any attempt to suggest that she may be misinterpreting noises and such is met with aggression and confrontation. The very notion of seeing a psychiatrist will meet utter refusal and hurt our relationship. She is otherwise a sweet, loving, caring mother and grandmother, 55, divorced and living on her own in Los Angeles.

How do I get her to get psychiatric or psychological help when she refuses to accept that she has any psychological problem and is convinced that her persecutory delusions are real?

Thank you for your help
David

Answer
David,

Thank you for your caring and thoughtful letter.

You are correct in surmising that is almost impossible to get a paranoid schizophrenic person to admit that they are having psychotic delusions.  The only opportunity that would ever arise is if you happened to be with her the moment one of her pursuits of this disordered thinking turned out to be obviously false, then you could kindly suggest she has been doing a lot of that thing lately and it concerns you.

If this unlikely circumstance does not take place, please try to find a State social services/mental health/older adults agency to advise you.  

If you feel your mother's paranoia presents a danger to her, you may be able to arrange an assessment through such an agency, and the staff of these organizations will have people with the special knowledge to help you see that you mother receives the professional attention she needs.  

If that does not work, or just alternatively,  find a local hospital with a Geriatric Medicine Department and make an appointment to discuss your mom with someone there.

Best of luck and I hope your Mom realizes what a good son you have been to her,

Dr. Andrew Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.