Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Personality association

Question
Hello! I'm looking to write a screenplay about the mental disorder of Schizophrenia What i wanted to ask you was that I'm aware that there is a very rare function of the disease in which one can associate a personality with an inanimate object or something such as animals or trees. This has been referenced in the popular American television program "Wilfred" in which a man is very mentally ill and befriends his neighbors dog portrayed as a man in a dog costume. This could also be referenced in the classic tell tale sign of schizophrenia of "Does the TV talk to you, and just you?'. I wanted to ask you is there a technical term for this? If so could you give me any information on this rare function of the brain?

Sincerely,

Answer
Hi, Rob, well, I wouldn't say that the 'TV talking to me' symptom is a 'tell-tale' sign of schizophrenia. It may a a delusion, for sure, if the person believes that someone is sending him messages thru the TV/radio. At any rate, you might be talking about delusions

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.