Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Stepson

My 28 year old stepson has never had a job, no friends , never a girlfriend. All he does is lift weights in his room. I recently lost my job and really needed him to step up and get a job! When I questioned him over the job he tell us he's working on some plan with his training but no specifics! His mother, my wife tells me I have to be patient! I am out of patience! Something is not right and I'm beginning to think has something to do with a mental disorder because of the no friends and girlfriend!

As far as I understand your relationship with your step son is not very good at this point but as long as he did not address a problem or he did not consider that he has a problem, I think you cannot change the situation for him. All you can do is to honestly discuss with him about your worries and try to understand how does he feel about his situation and what are the reasons behind his behavior. I suppose you could consider reminding him that every adult person should contribute to the welfare of his family but I don't know your family rules and I don't know if this is the case.You could also recommend him in a non offensive manner to discuss with a local psychologist.
Wish you all the best!

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Ileana Truica

The type of questions that I am able to answer are those regarding depression, anxiety, phobias, psychosis, sexual disorders, relationship issues, anger management, post-traumatic disorders, addictions.

I am certified by the Romanian College of Psychologists as a clinical psychologist since January 2010 and I have competencies in clinical evaluation and psychological counseling. Since November 2010 I am studying Clinical Hypnosis, Relaxation and Ericksonian Therapy and 2 months ago I started my activities as a psychotherapist assisted by my supervisor, using hypnosis and other techniques.

The Romanian College of Psychologists Romanian Association of Clinical Hypnosis, Relaxation and Ericksonian Therapy.

I have a BS degree in Psychology and a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology and Psychopathology. 2 months ago I finished my first 2 years as a trainee in Clinical Hypnosis, Relaxation and Ericksonian Therapy and I am curently receiving supervision as a psychotherapist for the next 2 years.