Psychiatry & Psychology--General/personality disorder

I've been diagnosed with dependent personality disorder.  I can't afford the therapy I need so I go to a place that doesn't charge much.
First they told me the most I could see her is 2x month for $15 (per session)
then the past couple of mos she has gotten very busy and I only see her once a month to six weeks.  I told my psychiatrist I didn't understand how I was supposed to get better this way..and he said "I wish you could see her more often but as long as you do your work on your own you should be good"

Is it possible to overcome this personality disorder with such a small amt of therapy?  I read that it is difficult to treat because the client gets so attached to the maybe its a good thing I don't see her as often as I am not attached to her and free to do the work and use the tools.

I think I just want your opinion

Hi, Linda, thanks for your question. First of all, I rarely, if ever, tell people what their diagnosis is. The reason is that diagnoses are labels, and people are not labels. People tend to think of themselves as the dead, unchanging label, instead of the unique, transformative being that they are. Can you change? Sure, of course. In fact, you are already changing - every day, little by little. The question isn't can you change, it's HOW will change. Which direction are you going in life? Will your defenses against being hurt control you, or will you risk loving, living, etc? Being truly alive MEANS being hurt, being vulnerable. We cant stop it from happening. But almost everyone finds that the risk is worth the reward. Even when it is not, it is bittersweet.

What you can do:

1. Find some good books and movies that are recommended for people who want to learn and grow. I'm sure there are many on the net. I recommend starting with "the fifty minute hour" and "If you meet the Bhudda on the Road, Kill Him!". Both can be found for pennies on Amazon and other vendors.

2. Having a long time between sessions means that you will have to change the nature of your therapy. It's going to have to become a coaching therapy, where the therapist gives you homework, that you complete on your own, and you report back in the next session.

3. On October 1st, sign up for health insurance on There will be large subsidies for low income people. On 1/1/14, you will be able to begin 'normal' therapy  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology

15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997