Psychiatry & Psychology--General/How to respond to a friend with delusions

Question
I have a friend who is having delusions. This friend is in a psychiatric ward involuntarily but keeps calling me asking me to do things that are really unrealistic. (ex. get him Jets, get him into Congress)

I've been playing along as everything I have seen online says not to challenge delusions.

If he gets out and find that I have only been "playing along" and "think he's crazy" I have no idea what to do.

Answer
You do NOT play along -- that sends him mixed messages.  YOu can either simply refuse to talk to him about it ("I don't want to talk about that, but I'll be willing to talk about baseball with you) or, to tell them you believe he is delusional.  You NEVER agree with the delusions, since that only makes things worse. You can simply say, "I do not believe that" when he talks about a delusion, without any further explanation.  You just keep repeating that.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.