Psychiatry & Psychology--General/ADHD drugs and brain waves.

Hello sir,

i am 25 years old male from india. I have a very poor concentration and i easily get distracted by thoughts during reading.....i think too much and for long time untill i have head ach.....i do also meditation to improve concentration but again thoughts distract me very quickly.

I want to take some drugs to improve my concentration. Perhaps these drugs are called smart drugs or study drugs.

But i want to do meditation after taking these that once i become successful in meditation then i do not need to take drugs for any more time to save myself from the side effects of long term use of these drugs.
But somewhere i read that meditation requires "alfa" or "theta" state of brain. But since there drugs are stimulants so they keep us in "beta" state. But i am not sure.

I just want to know that will there drugs help me to do meditation? As meditation needs concentration and these drugs improve concentration.(but i am confused about the brain wave theory)

please help me. Thanks in advance.

Dear Ashish
Please get yourself evaluated by mental health services to be sure you don't have Adult ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. But if you want to try meditation before that, just do it, without focusing too much on what waves you need.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Dr. Gurvinder Kalra, MD

I can answer questions related to Psychiatric illnesses, their management, relationship issues etc.

I have completed my Masters in Psychiatry. Currently I am working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at L.T.M.Medical College & L.T.M.General Hospital, Mumbai, India.

1. Kalra G, Bhugra D. Mutual learning and research messages: India, UK and Europe. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S56-63. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69211] 2. Kalra G, Gupta S, Bhugra D. Sexual Variations in India: A view from the west. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S264-8. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69244]

MD Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychiatry, M.B.B.S

1. A.V. SHAH BEST RESEARCH PAPER AWARD, at the 38th Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatry Society- West Zone Branch, Nagpur, India, 13th Oct 2007. 2. BOMBAY PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY SILVER JUBILEE NATIONAL AWARD, at the 60th Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Kolkata on 4th January, 2008. 3. 2nd prize in the free paper session for presenting the paper “Sexual Attitudes & Behaviours in Individuals above 50” at the 24th National Conference of Sexology held in Jaipur in September, 2008. 4. BHAGWAT NATIONAL AWARD, for Co author of “Study of Emotional Intelligence in Medical Postgraduates”. The Study was presented in the 61st Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Agra on 6th January, 2009. 5. 1st prize in the Dr.S.M.Lulla Post Graduate Quiz held in July 2006 at Department of Psychiatry, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India. 6. Won the Post Graduate Debate on “Involuntary Treatment in Psychiatric Patients is Unjust”, 2nd March 2008, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India.