Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Helping a loved one


How do you get someone help if they don't ask or want it and they have taken themselves away from their family and friends

There really is no good answer to this, if they will not listen to family or friends.  You might consult a lawyer instead: if they have done something dangerous, then perhaps a guardianship can be gotten through the courts.  Otherwise, if they are a "loved one," you may simply need to show up on their doorstep again and again insisting they get help.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.


Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]