Psychiatry & Psychology--General/anxiety

Hi doctor,  I'm having a lot of anxiety and I'm a 32 year old female that is 6 weeks pregnant. I'm very scared that I might get schizophrenia because my grandma got it in her thirties shortly after giving birth. I'm considering abortion because of health issues with my heart and neuropathy. Am I high risk for getting schizophrenia because of wacked hormones after an abortion? Is there anything I could do to avoid getting it? Thank you so much. Sincerely,  martha

At age 32 you are at very low risk for schizophrenia -- this is something that shows when people are around 20 (either your grandmother had symptoms beforehand, or she was misdiagnosed).  In addition, grandchildren of schizophrenics (as opposed to children) do not have increased risk.  Finally, anxiety is not a precursor to schizophrenia; they are quite different problems effecting quite different chemicals. There is no known way to prevent schizophrenia, or to cause schizophrenia.  Unfortunately, it just happens.....

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.