Psychiatry & Psychology--General/ethics followup

Question
QUESTION: What I meant to ask is : Does anxiety cause pain? The way you phrased the answer it sounds like it does. I didn't

I copied part of the answer in case you didn't remember:

Since like an absolutely appropriate response on the doctor's part. "All over head pain" is NOT a neurological sympmtom -- no neurological problem corresponds to this complaint.  Rather, "all over head pain" corresponds to anxiety problems -- hence the referral to the counseelor was sound, and he probably only made the neurologic referral because you insisted -- this I think is the only error the doctor made. t know that. Her head could be hurting because of anxiety?

ANSWER: Anxiety causes somatic delusions, and a variety of psychosomatic illnesses; rashes, ulcers, hives, headaches, etc.

QUESTION: First, I don't quite undersand what 'somatic' means. I know pyscosomatic is imagining problems, but does 'somatic' mean that she has real pain? If its real I don't quite understand why you said it sounds like anxiety.
I have her an appt with a counselor by the way but in the meantime, I am not as smart as you so I need explanation. :-)

Answer
Somatic means physical.  Yes, she has real pain, caused by psychiatric problems (which are real illnesses and cause pain). Anxiety is real -- your question seems to imply that anxiety is not real. ("If its real I don't quite understand why you said it sounds like anxiety." -- It is real, and it is anxiety.  Anxiety is as real as a brain tumor.)  This is the general prejudice against psychiatric illnesses -- that they are not real, positions held only by ignorant people.

Again, anxiety is real, anxiety causes pain, pain is real.  Treatment for anxiety will relieve the pain slowly.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.