Psychiatry & Psychology--General/high iq/cognition query

Question
Hello, Im in my 60s,with WAISIII iq score in the 140/150 range  at age 50; MBTI(INTP). My query concerns the fact that despite my level of intellect, I encounter great difficulty in areas of logical problem-solving, as exemplified by mensa type logic tests for example. According to your perspective as a psychologist, would my brief self analysis of this issue, stated below, be basically correct?...

From very early in and throughout entire childhood, due to dysfunctional background, I had inadvertently sealed myself off from normal psychosocial development/interaction, replacing it with a completely internalized inner world from which I didn't begin to emerge until early adulthood. A corollary of this would be significant algorithmic gaps in my formative cognitive structure due to missing out on benefits of formal education in this area. When first tested at age 20 while still dysfunctional; my iq was 106,so significant increase since then, yet cognitive issues still remain, due to aforesaid gaps.

In your view, does this come across as a logically plausible explanation of this discrepancy.  Many Thanks/Regards.

Answer
Doubt it, mate.

A more plausible explanation is the invalidity of the concept of "IQ" (most especially for adults) and of the tests purported to quantify it. The Mensa people focus on one narrow aspect of what IQ is supposed to involve, puzzle-solving. And for personality inventories like the MB, don't get me started.

Whatever strengths the Wechsler tests have lie NOT in an overall number like 145 (though it has some does predictive ability with children). In some psychological jurisdictions, clinicians are prohibited from reporting an overall IQ number to the teachers of kids they referred for assessment, lest that number be misinterpreted.

So you might ask the psychologist who administered yours to discuss with you the dozen-odd verbal and non-verbal subscores, what they could mean for your cognitive functioning (individually and in the overall pattern), and what sort of standardization sample from Australia was used in Version III.

There are other points of discussion, but I don't know what gave rise to your concern or curiosity.  In any case, thanks for asking us, and I hope the above helps somewhat, John.

Alan  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach