Psychiatry & Psychology--General/help

hi. i am 24 female and single and living with my parents and 4 brothers younger to me. i will be going to medical college which is not in my town within 2 weeks. i have to live there in hostel for 5 years. i am worried thinking about being far from my family. i have never been to some where alone. i feel like a child going away from her mother. i want to start my own independent life for i suppose i am too much dependent on my parents like a child but now when i have the opportunity i don't want to leave my family and friends . i get attach to people too much. i don't even like to leave my friends behind i want them to be with me every time.i just can not let go of people i love. i feel like bound to them and this thing is not letting me to be independent and start my practical life.. my cousins of my age and younger are married and having children. some times i feel like i am stuck into my early teens. i can not even have a relationship because some where in my mind i feel like i still am a child.

You are about to do what millions of others have done quite successfully, leave home to start a career.  You should be looking forward to this as an opportunity to make even more friends: while you will be separated from your current friends for a while, it is not as if they are lost forever -- you'll return to for family events or holidays and see them again, and have new stories (and new friends) to share with them

What you are experiencing is not unusual, and is, in fact, quite normal, but also normal is leaving home, and you absolutely must do that to move on in life.  If you find yourself, after a few weeks, really not able to concentrate on your studies, then consider seeing a counselor to talk about it, and how you can fit in in your new circumstances.  Remember, you are not losing anything, but you are gaining new knowledge and experience.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.