Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Why do I get silent, anti-social, when a person I just met makes me feel uncomfortable?

I've had this issue for quite along time and to be honest I thought I overcame it but.. I guess I didn't. I realize when I meet new people that I'm not familiar with it makes me feel uncomfortable. Actually.. Let's be more clear. There are some new people I meet and I immediately click with or feel comfortable with but with other new people I meet I feel like I can read their facial expressions and body language and the conversation that they aren't enjoying it so I get quiet. And that feeling just carries over to my other conversations with my other friends. I won't talk to anyone after I've been uncomfortable. I hate that feeling. I feel like it hinders me. I hate how that feeling can affect me to not want to talk.  Well my question is.. Is this normal? Why do I feel this way? and most importantly how do I overcome this issue once and for all?

You have a social anxiety problem that could be handle with some behavioral or group psychotherapy or social skills training (depending on cause and severity) to over come this issues, and you should get an evaluation by a therapist to see what form of treatment might be best for you.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.