Psychiatry & Psychology--General/belief

Question
How can i change my personal belief systems or mindsets.
for e.g. I have some beliefs like money is bad,relationships will give me pain,social netwoking is bad..etc
I don't know how I formed them,but I want to overcome them.
please guide.
-regards

Answer
hi, aaryn, thanks for your question. Your question is difficult to answer, because it could mean a lot of different things. For example, if you really do believe something, you probably won't be questioning that belief, as you are here. For example, you likely believe that the air will stick around for you to take your next breath, so you never question it.

Perhaps these are what I call 'feeling-beliefs'? That is, you have feelings about certain things ('bad') that then carry over into your thoughts? If so, the first step would be to distinguish between feelings and thoughts. The difference is that mostly what we think of as feelings are really thoughts - e.g. the labels we place on our feelings ("I feel X"). Feelings are the momentary visceral reaction to events, like being surprised, or that inner sensation we have just prior to labeling it.

Once you do that, you can treat feelings and thoughts different:

1. don't bother trying to directly change your feelings. They are like the weather, in that you have little control over them. However, they will change over time, as your experiences change you (like the climate).

2. learn to identify your illogical thinking (such as "I have to stop feeling that money is bad"), and then to confront them ("what is the worst that can happen if I don't stop feeling that money is bad? Will I die?").

You can learn about various forms of cognitive therapy to do that, such as Rational Emotive Therapy. Also, write the thoughts down, ask other people if they think the thoughts are logical (take a survey).

these steps will start you on the path you want, I think. It takes practice and time, though  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.