Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Tapering off

Question
I have been taking antipsychotics for 10 years for schizoaffective disorder. I feel I have recovered. How do I taper off of loxapine 50 mg. I have been taking this for 3 months. I also want to taper off of bupropion xl 300 mg it was prescribed mostly for smoking cessation. I have been taking this for 4 months. My life has changed and I have worked through my problems and I feel I'm ready to be drug free. Thank you

Answer
Tapering off medications, without replacing them with similar medications, would be inappropriate for Schizoaffective Disorder, which is a lifetime problem from which patients do not "recover," although, like diabetes, they may be very well managed and function without problems as long as they take their medications.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.