Psychiatry & Psychology--General/My siblings bipolar disorder


My sister is being treated by the Gateway Mental health care facility in RI. She is bi-polar with psychosis. Her medication is not working and she is getting worse. When i spoke with her psychiatrist he tells me she is on the highest dose of her medications and there is nothing more he can do.  What can i do?

See if another psychiatrist can see her on consultation.  Unfortunately, sometimes medications do not work with this problem, and her psychiatrist might be right, but it would at least provide you some comfort if you had another psychiatrist say the same thing.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.


Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.

©2017 All rights reserved.