Psychiatry & Psychology--General/cant lose weight on lithium

hi again dr. harrop, I just cant seem to get motivated to lose weight on lithium. why is it so hard to lose weight on this drug. I have tried everything but nothing works. what's next to do. my plateau is very hard to break. do you have any ideas on how lose weight on this medication. I would like to have an in depth and detailed answer. thank you.

Losing weight is best done in a group: Weight Watchers, Overeaters Anonymous, a gym where you join an exercise group (yoga, spinning etc).  It is easier to keep motivated when others around you are doing the same (in this circumstance they do not need to know you are on Lithium, only that you need to lose weight).  I would become involved in a group like this to work on the weight loss.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.