Psychiatry & Psychology--General/keeping siblings together

Question
Hi, My son is mainstreamed but has support in the classroom. It was the district's arbitrary choice to send him to a school 5 minutes from me instead of 3 minutes. Now they refuse to let his sibling attend the same school even though it's in district and there's plenty of space. Do you know of any studies on the benefits of keeping siblings together in school (esp when one is special ed and they are close). I know the benefits are OBVIOUS but I am appealing to people who seem not to care about separating siblings and not providing any reason. Again, there are no space issues. Any help would be appreciated. I tried doing google searches but all that came up was keeping siblings together in foster care and parents in cities where there are school lotteries for spots and that's not my situation (although I relate to their plight) As a psychologist, what would you cite as the predominant benefits? My kids are very close and the younger one really helps the older one express himself better.

Answer
Love bureacrats!

Not heard of any but will ask a colleague who is in that field.

Meanwhile, come up with a good, logical, practical reason for them to attend the same school, such as transportation requirements there and/or back, or the need for one to assist the other with lunch.

Then find out who runs the district and apply there -- in writing, including that if your request is denied, could you kindly be informed of that in writing. (The implication is that you could take the statements to the press and cause negative publicity for the district.)  

Alan

____

I came up with the same citations as you. It's pretty hard to do research on this, and as you say, it's obvious.

All I can offer is to review your letter. You write quite well, but a fresh eye is often helpful. I'd suggest memo form, and businesslike.

A.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach