Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Please direct


Dear sir,

My name is Simon. I stay In INDIA. Since the age of nineteen, I have been suffering from Social anxiety disorder. Now, I am 27. Currently, I am taking psychiatric treatment for the same. I have a doubt. Please clarify. It will be a great help for me. I have done some online research before going for the treatment with anti-depressants. Based on my research I read on many websites that anti-depressants, particularly SSRI takes around 6-8 weeks to reach the full therapeutic effect. BY this I got the following impression that:
In order to free from whole social anxiety symptoms (as if one is feeling completely normal, although one has to continue taking medicines even after full symptom relief) it will take around 6-8 weeks.
In my case, my social anxiety is finely helped by these medicines. But I did not get the full relief even after 3 months of treatment. I mean my eye contact is still not so good with other peoples. Also, I feel some anxiety while taking to others.
Could you tell me what should be done now. Should I request my psychiatrist to increase dose or to go for a medicine change?
I was given these medicines till now,
First two months---- nexito 10mg and klonaz 0.25mg
Third month----depran-H(it contains escitalopram 10mg and clonazepam ip 0.25mg) and Oxyma capsules(omega fatty 3 capsules).
Please clarify what should I do now.


Yes, sometimes anxiety conditions seem to be caused by neurochemical abnormalities. The purpose of these medications is to normalize the brain chemistry, and finding the right medications, dosages, and combinations, is often a matter of trial-and-error, which requires both time and the type of analysis you have been doing. Only you know your state of mind, so it's good to discuss this with your health-care professional. (Specific medication adjustment should be discussed with your treatment provider, but generally, with psychoactive pharmaceuticals you want to make any change gradually.)

But the other component can be social learning. Maybe your brain is perfectly normal but you have learned to have the troubling feelings and symptoms. If so, what you have learned you can unlearn. I don't know what mental-health resources are available to you, but here, the best professional to teach you to cope with your symptoms and overcome them would be a clinical psychologist. Maybe you can give that a try as well, and eventually decide which approach or combination works best for you.

Hope those comments will be helpful Simon, thanks for asking us, and the best of luck to you.


Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alan Auerbach


Taught psychology for 30 years, authored four textbooks. Specialize in introductory and industrial/organizational psychology, but will tackle wider range of areas.

©2017 All rights reserved.