Psychiatry & Psychology--General/diagnosis question..where to go from here

Question
I recently start psychiatric care after a long period of time since I was last seeing a therapist, which was in the late 90s that was court order (that I didn't follow).

I was asked the mumbo jumbo million of questions. He changed the meds I was on, the frequency and such. He added a mood stabilizer and asked what I thought about me being the possibility of having bipolar, which I said I wasn't sure. He told me to read up on it and let him know what I thought at the next appointment.

I told him when I went back that I thought I fit into the category about 80% or so and he said hed agree and continuing treating as such. Although when he gave me paper work to schedule next appointment it said recurrent major depressive disorder. Does this mean Im not bipolar or why would he say one thing but paper work say another?

I did have a first counseling appointment today and after words she said she had to write a diagnosis on the paperwork. I didn't think a therapist did this?

I guess what Im asking is what should I go by. Do I go by what the dr says, the paperwork, or the therapist? If I wasn't bipolar, why would I be given a mood stabilizer instead of anti-depressants even thogh I had a terrible reaction to one to where my whole body blistered up. Im sorry if my thoughts where all over the place or hard to follow.

What or who do I go by for an accurate diagnosis? I sometimes feel bipolar and sometimes I feel perfectly fine, its all confusing.

Answer
Why would he say one thing but paper work say another?
You should ask him; it may just be a mistake on the paperwork.

I didn't think a therapist did this?
No, therapists -must- do this, that is, list the problem being treated in the appointment, as part of their record keeping.

You need to ask the doctor and the therapist these questions.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.