Psychiatry & Psychology--General/strange symptoms

For years I have struggled with fatigue, brain fog, palpitations, light headiness, a sometimes feeling of unbalance and loss of equilibrium (almost like floor is moving or dropping), periods of fast hear rate and general uneasiness. I have seen my primary care doctor, a cardiologist and sleep doctor. Other than some PVCs that I may have to live with and mild sleep apnea ( wearing ask now)- I appear healthy. This is very frustrating because Im a 41 yer old male and simply want to feel good again. Could these symptoms be due to a mental health issue? Have you heard these symptoms before? Thanks

Hi Dave, thanks for your question. You asked, "Could these symptoms be due to a mental health issue?"

The answer is yes, absolutely. The mind arises out of the billions of neuron connections in the brain, and the brain, of course, is part of the body. Thus, almost any symptom can be 'caused' by one's mind. The problem, for both medical doctors and psychologists, is ruling out something that is solely related to a part of the body outside of the brain. For example, if your arm bone is broken, the remedy is to do something with the bone.

Another problem is that many symptoms do not have a clear etiology - for example, the symptoms you are experiencing. So, COULD they have a cause unrelated to the mind? Yes, it's possible, but it might be so rare that it occurs only in one person in a million or even one in a billion. Makes it very hard for MDs to diagnosis.

To complicate matters more, the mind can interact with physical-only diseases, to intensify symptoms. If so, it would not be clear if the symptom was 10% caused by the mind, of 90%.

I cannot advise you on what actions to take, of course, or what diseases you might or might not have.

Generally, though, there are both cognitive and behavioral techniques that one can learn to reduce unwanted symptoms and to increase wellness. You might want to consider that path.

Further, the mind is a strange beast. It's like a community of people - sometimes they work together and sometimes they work at cross purposes. Most of the 'thinking' (mental activity) that happens in the brain, we are not aware of. It's called our unconscious, and it's akin to the 90% of an iceberg that is underwater. Sometimes we have motivations that appear, on the surface, to cause us to work against ourselves. Even though mostly you might want to feel better and return to your normal life, there may be a part of you that does not want this. We call this ambivalence, and it is a normal part of every human being. The answer to 'destructive' ambivalence is to admit it, recognize it, and accept it. It is only when you are not aware of it that it has control over you.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology

15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997