Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Am I bulimic?

I think I've been on the binge/purge cycle for a year now. I overeat past the point of feeling miserable and my stomach hurts and I feel out of control. Then I feel guilty and am terrified of gaining weight so I restrict/starve for 3 to 4 days or until I feel like I didn't gain any weight. I do gain weight when I overeat but then I lose it when I restrict/starve. Food controls my life and I want to know if it is bulimia or if I just have a strange relationship with food. Thank you

Hi, Rachael, thanks for your question. You asked, " if it is bulimia or if I just have a strange relationship with food"?

According to Wikipedia, "Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by binge eating and purging, or consuming a large amount of food in a short amount of time followed by an attempt to rid oneself of the food consumed (purging), typically by vomiting, taking a laxative, diuretic, or stimulant, and/or excessive exercise, because of an extensive concern for body weight".

OTOH, "Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by immoderate food restriction, inappropriate eating habits or rituals, obsession with having a thin figure, and an irrational fear of weight gain, as well as a distorted body self-perception. It typically involves excessive weight loss and is diagnosed approximately nine times more often in females than in males.[1] Due to their fear of gaining weight, individuals with this disorder restrict the amount of food they consume."

So, what you describe sounds like Anorexia. And, given that you do not feel in control, it's time to seek professional help.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology

15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997