Psychiatry & Psychology--General/SSRI's

I just started taking Zoloft 3 weeks ago for intense anxiety after trying therapy for 9 mod without any meds.  I finally realized I needed something in addition to therapy.  I haven't noticed any major change yet so I started reading about SSRI's on the internet which has led to more anxiety since there is so much controversy.  However, I really question the negativity about SSRI's at times because there are so many positive case reports of people like me who have benefited, especially when combined with therapy.  Should I be worried about using these.  I don't plan of relying on them long term.  Thanks in advance.

The SSRI's are perfectly safe and millions of people use them successfully.  However, they may take six to 8 weeks to work.  There are lots of bizarre things on the internet, including religious fanatics (who do no identify themselves as such) who believe medications violate a god's will, and so will post lies.  Try NOT to do "research" with the internet.  Go to a library and get a medical textbook.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.