Psychiatry & Psychology--General/NPD or something else

Are these traits related to NPD, or an underlying condition with narcissistic tendencies?. Dealt with verbal abuse from mom as a kid/teen/now adult, heres what I've gone through and now deal with also:

*Screaming to clean up toys which were all over the place (at times).

*Delusions of grandeur.

*Screamed at me because I had an "accident" on the toilet lid (as a child).

*Shouted at me once after I had a fight with my sis/hit her "Whos going to remember your birthday?!" and I cried/spoke back "No one".

*Destroyed my room in a fit of rage after I hit my sis (as a kid) and threatened to beat me if I didn't clean it up.

*Can be very controlling/manipulative.

*Gets upset if you don't agree with her opinions (which she thinks VERY highly of, even if they aren't facts).

*Quick to judge/blame others, can be jealous of those who've found success.

*Self esteem issues.

*Disaproving (I'm 22 and she won't agree with certain things I do at times, such as simply selling things I own such as a stereo, or a simple textbook).

*Has stated things to me such as: "You better be sorry! (after I've applogized for something)", "Because I said so!", "You treat me like crap! (when I havent)", "I do everything around here!", "Just pure lazy! (if something in the cabinet isn't put away correctly), "What is wrong with you?", "I sing/look better than her don't you think?", "Let me tell you something", "It's MY house!".

Dear Ryan,

Only a qualified mental health diagnostician can determine whether someone suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and this, following lengthy tests and personal interviews.

These may be of help - click on the links:

Narcissistic and psychopathic parents and their children - click on the links:

Participate in discussions about Abusive Relationships - click on these links:

The Narcissistic Abuse Study List

The Toxic Relationships Study List

Abusive Relationships Newsletter

Take care there!

Sam (Narcissists, Psychopaths, Abuse) (World in Conflict and Transition) (Sayings of Wisdom and Inanity) (Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited)

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Sam Vaknin, Ph.D.

Personality disorders. I have collaborated with Israeli psychologists and criminologists in the study of personality disorders and am the author of "Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited" (available from Barnes and Noble and as an e-book from my publisher). My expertise is: the Narcissistic Personality Disorder and pathological narcissism.

I am the author of Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited. (number 1 bestseller in its category in Barnes and Noble). The Web site "Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited" was, for many years, an Open Directory Cool Site and a Psych-UK recommended Site. I am not a mental health professional though I am certified in psychological counseling techniques by Brainbench. I served as the editor of Mental Health Disorders categories in the Open Directory Project and on I have my own websites about the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and about relationships with abusive narcissists here and in HealthyPlace. You can read my work on many other Web sites: Mental Health Matters, Mental Health Sanctuary, Mental Health Today, Kathi's Mental Health Review and others. I also served as the author of the Personality Disorders topic, Narcissistic Personality Disorder topic, the Verbal and Emotional Abuse topic, and the Spousal Abuse and Domestic Violence topic, all four on Suite101, as well as the moderator of the Narcissistic Abuse Study List , the Toxic Relationships Study List, and other mailing lists (c. 7000 members). I wrote a column for Bellaonline on Narcissism and Abusive Relationships.

"Managing Investment Portfolios in States of Uncertainty", Limon Publishers, Tel-Aviv, 1988 "The Gambling Industry", Limon Publishers, Tel-Aviv, 1990 "Requesting My Loved One: Short Stories", Miskal-Yedioth Aharonot, Tel-Aviv, 1997 "The Suffering of Being Kafka” (electronic book of Hebrew and English Short Fiction), Prague, 1998-2004 "The Macedonian Economy at a Crossroads – On the Way to a Healthier Economy" (dialogues with Nikola Gruevski), Skopje, 1998 "The Exporter’s Pocketbook" Ministry of Trade, Republic of Macedonia, Skopje, 1999 "Malignant Self-love: Narcissism Revisited", Narcissus Publications, Prague, 1999-2007 (Read excerpts - click here) The Narcissism, Psychopathy, and Abuse in Relationships Series (E-books regarding relationships with abusive narcissists and psychopaths), Prague, 1999-2010 Personality Disorders Revisited (e-book about personality disorders), Prague, 2007 "After the Rain – How the West Lost the East", Narcissus Publications in association with Central Europe Review/CEENMI, Prague and Skopje, 2000 More than 30 e-books about psychology, international affairs, business and economics, philosophy, short fiction, and reference (free download here) Winner of numerous awards, among them Israel's Council of Culture and Art Prize for Maiden Prose (1997), The Rotary Club Award for Social Studies (1976), and the Bilateral Relations Studies Award of the American Embassy in Israel (1978). Hundreds of professional articles in all fields of finance and economics, and numerous articles dealing with geopolitical and political economic issues published in both print and Web periodicals in many countries. Many appearances in the electronic and print media on subjects in psychology, philosophy, and the sciences, and concerning economic matters.

1970-1978: Completed nine semesters in the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa. 1982-3: Ph.D. in Philosophy (dissertation: "Time Asymmetry Revisited") – California Miramar University (formerly: Pacific Western University), California, USA. 1982-5: Graduate of numerous courses in Finance Theory and International Trading in the UK and USA. Certified E-Commerce Concepts Analyst by Brainbench. Certified in Psychological Counselling Techniques by Brainbench. Certified Financial Analyst by Brainbench. Full proficiency in Hebrew and in English.

Winner of numerous awards, among them Israel's Council of Culture and Art Prize for Maiden Prose (1997), The Rotary Club Award for Social Studies (1976), and the Bilateral Relations Studies Award of the American Embassy in Israel (1978).