Psychiatry & Psychology--General/emptiness

We all experience loneliness and emptiness. Let's say we have a musician who has been playing with his dear friends all evening. When going home afther having fun he could experience loneliness and emptiness. Does this mean that he is missing something in his relationships? Emotions and thoughts points to something. Does he need even more deep relationships or could he be longing for a good woman? This man could be me or any of my friends who experience this.
What should such a man do according to you?

I think hypothetical situations are a bit difficult to answer because everyone reacts to experoences differently. I will take the example of the situation with the musician that you provided. He may have been playing all night with very close friends but if he is feeling lonely and empty after going home alone, it may be that he is longing after something more substantial. Whether or not he is missing something in his life may be revealed by the sense of emptiness he is said to feel after the experience. Emptiness might be described as a more intense feeling that sometimes can be attributed to a personal sense of not being good enough OR it could come from an powerful feeling of loneliness. Because this is a hypothetical question, there are questions that would need to be answered to determine whether a romantic/sexual relationship is longed for, whether the emptiness stems from not feeling good enough, or if there are other factors involved.

If this answer is not satisfactory, I invite you to provide me with some more details.

Thanks for your question.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jacquelynn Cunliffe

I would like to answer under the category of Psychiatry and Psychology. However, I would like to see a separate category for Psychotherapy/Psychoanalysis. I do not answer questions about medications as I do not prescribe. My expertise is in psychotherapeutic treatment.

I am a psychotherapist and psychoanalyst who specializes in the treatment of mental health issues caused by childhood trauma, domestic abuse, eating disorders, relationship difficulties, and a wide variety of psychological disorders. The kind of therapy I do is often referred to as deep therapy, talk therapy, or psychoanalytic therapy. Please note that I am not against medications and when managed well, medication can be an adjunct to psychotherapy intervention. I think it is important for the public to realize that psychodynamic or psychoanalytic psychotherapy DOESmake changes not only in people's minds but those changes can also be detected in their brain structure. Psychotherapy and psychoanalysis are powerful interventions to help people change their lives from the inside out.

American Psychoanalytic Association American Psychiatric Nurse Association Member of Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia Member of National Eating Disorder Association

Ph.D.-University of Pennsylvania, Psychology and Education, Division of Human Development M.S.N. and R.N.-B.C. Board Certified Nurse in Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2-Year Adult Psychotherapy Program graduate 2-Year Child Psychotherapy Graduate Current: Candidate in Psychoanalytic Training at the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia

I have worked with clients who have experienced significant childhood traumas. These patients come with a variety of mental health issues, including anxiety, depression, suicidal ideations, relationship difficulties and diagnoses such as Personality Disorders, Adjustment Disorders, and, though rarely, Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly multiple Personality Disorder)