Psychiatry & Psychology--General/"Fantasy Running"

Question
I think I might have a mental illness, I am 16 years old and am home schooled. About 4-5 years ago I started homeschooling and lost all contact to friends and when I tried keeping in contact they avoided me. I only keep in contact with one person and that is my boyfriend. He does not know of what I am going through. You see ever since I was little I would run around and characters from cartoons and such could become visible to me and my mind would enter a fantasy world so to speak. It still happens but not so much as with cartoon characters but with made up people I cant touch them or anything physically but in my minds image I can. So I went from interacting with them like it was a video game as a child into it being more like a movie now. Please I know this sounds silly but I think there is something wrong with me, and no I have not confronted my parents with this because they might wright it off.

Answer
I don't know if you have a mental illness Robyn, but nothing you describe hints at it. (Having a vivid imagination is hardly unhealthy and far from silly.) I hope that comment provided the reassurance you sought, but let me add this just in case.

Your parents are the most important and the most protective people in your life, and if you think that there might be a problem with communication there, and especially if you are worried about having other problems in your life, you could ask them to make an appointment for you to see a psychologist for a few visits (for instance, to get some advice in dealing with thoughts that bother you).  And one of the early topics you might address is how to confide in your parents more, in a way that won't bring an upsetting response from them.

Thanks for asking us, and I wish you the best of fortune.

Alan  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach