Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Pattern Recognition

Question
I was recently asked to take a personality test for a weekend job that had the usual "what comes next in this pattern: aabbc?" questions (although more complex). I have never been able to recognize patterns whether pictorial or numerical. What part of the brain controls this function? What other functions are controlled by this part of the brain?

I'm great at writing, reading and math, but have NEVER been able to identify patterns.

Answer
Hi, Audrey, there may be other parts of the brain involved, but certainly the visual cortex is part of this function. The visual cortex handles all sorts of high level visual functions, such as identifying the type of object you are seeing. e.g., you can recognize a chair, even if you have never seen that particular type of chair before, or you can see objects represented by cloud formations. Also, it is possible that the test called for some logic, which can make use of many different parts of the brain, including the frontal lobes. Everyone seems to have strengths and weaknesses, so I wouldnt worry about it. i.e., some people are naturally tall or short.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.