Psychiatry & Psychology--General/animus

Question
Hello, I once sought treatment from a psychotherapist who informed me that he thinks i got my animus from my mother rather than my father.  After i researched the animus and learnt it is the masculine part os a females psyche i felt a little confused as to exactly what this means for me.  I was really just curious as to how i would differ from a woman who identified with her animus through her father.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi, laura, there's no way for me to know what your therapist meant, of course. However, the purpose of all psychological interpretations such as this is to take a problem that the patient is having trouble with, to put it into a different context according to the therapist's preferred theory, in a way that enables the patient to have an improved outlook over their problem and an improved ability to deal with that problem. There is no 'truth' or 'best' interpretation, because all can be equally true. What's important to you is 'does it feel true/right for you'? If so, keep it. If not, seek further.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.